Thursday, April 25, 2013

SteveMcQueen - Papillon and other missing references

 
 
One rising star. No Constellations

 When my wife suggested to go chilling somewhere and listen to some music, I took the easy way out and suggested Sultan, knowing there is always something nice going on. And of course there was, although even after checking out on Sultan Jazz Club Website I still didn't really know what to expect. Something about SteveMcQueen??? The band was Marcus Szeto on guitar, Ben Poh on bass Bobby Singh drums, I was happy to see him doing a gig like this again, Joshua Wan keys and Eugenia Yip vocals. 




Marcus Szeto


 
Ben Poh
Bobby Singh


Joshua Wan
Eugenia Yip


 The music style, I guess, was mostly soul. I was not very familiar with the songs it seemed. This may be caused by the fact that I don't follow contemporary music that much anymore. If I do listen to radio it will be Internet radio, where you can choose for specific genres or eras. When I listen to pop music it is hits from 60's and 70's. Sort of Steve McQueen's era. When a lot of television was still black and white

It could also have been, that I did not recognize the songs much  because of the different arrangements, a skill that I very much admire Joshua for. I am not sure if he had any hand in it this time, but from previous projects where he was involved, e.g. the band Noir, I know he is a master at it.   





 




Eugenia was whipping up some cool vocals. I love that, sort of husky, kind of nasal, sound of hers. For extra special effects she was juggling two mics at the same time, each giving a different perspective to the tune
 


The occasional addition of Joshua's vocal, presented via some type of voice deforming technology made it all extra interesting and gave it a particularly contemporary dimension. 




We even had the pleasure of listening to two songs by a very much inspired Shiah Wi Ren aka Bob. 







We could stay around only for a couple of sets. On a weekday I usually leave around 12, before the last set. The evening perfectly matched my wife's requirement of chilling while listening to some music and I got to satisfy my other hobby. 













I don't know what the SteveMcQueen reference was about.  The low cut back of Eugenia's dress revealed several Tatoos but I did not see a Papillon. Maybe the meaning was explained in the last set, maybe there is none. It did however already triggered me to mention the 70's before. Maybe it did have something to do with the 70's, as the band insisted on announcing Joshua as uncle and also Bobby was honored with this title once or twice. I applaud them for this. I guess with ample credit for a lovely evening to the very young other band members, ....

respect must be given where respect is due!




No comments:

Post a Comment