Sunday, April 14, 2013

RaNina what a women.


RaNina what a women.

Rani Singam
After my first release I can already say my blog is a success. To plug it, I posted the link on the Facebook page of Singapore jazz lovers, a good source to check what’s going on in Singapore (http://www.facebook.com/groups/singaporejazzlovers/) , I had one visitor. But not just one.
Don't let me be misunderstood
It was Rani Singam, telling me firstly she liked to blog. The second piece of good news was that, although I missed the Friday show, there was no need to apologize, as long as I would come for the second show on Saturday. Now I have seen Rani singing many times and I don’t want to mess with that woman. So humbly I went on Saturday night. How is this single response such a success for me? For the plain reason why I’ve started this blog, to raise awareness of the music scenes in Singapore. By posting the blog on Singapore Jazz lovers, I became aware of another promising performance, Rani’s tribute to Nina SimoneMy first attempt to increase awareness worked for me!
Now I had heard songs  by Nina Simone in the past, but this was an eye and ear opener that left the crowd quietly listening. Rani was backed by Mario Serio on Piano, Tony Makarome on Bass and Tama Goh, on drums, with each of them responsible for many exiting solo’s.
Mario Serio

Tama Goh

Toni Makarome
This all came together in a Battlestar Galactica ride of emotions, with Rani’s notes going high up, stretching her body to its full length and beyond, to then plunge deep deep down into her vocal range, also physically bending down so deep, her forehead almost touched the tip of the long pearl necklace. A great combination of stage presence, voice capacity and, seemingly a close bond with the emotions that, in Nina Simone’s own songs, often times play around racial lines.
The Sultan Jazz Club was completely packed and, stayed that way through the appreciative ovation of a thoroughly entertained audience. It’s good to have a venue like this and a show like this and a crowd like this! We want more!



Changing upper hand

No comments:

Post a Comment