Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cuban chill at the Sultan

Eddy
Pablo
Cuban chill at Sultan

Eddy and Enrique
Blown away
What I thought was going to be an evening of swinging hot Latin music turned out to be a nice time of relaxing on Cuban Chill tunes. Of course there was also the occasional pick up in tempo with it's highlight in "el quarto de tula", one of my favorites of the by now classic Buena Vista album. The main theme was driven by a solid acoustic guitar duo, formed by; Ernesto Enriquez and Eddy Fleitas del Sol constantly filling the room with lovely Latin rifs and solos. Now from anyone with sun in their name, especially in tropical Singapore, you would expect some fire. And Eddy gave it, heartfelt vocals, cool guitar solos, some hot blasting Latin Trumpet tunes and that Latin look that should have attracted a much bigger female crowd then was actually there.
Cool solos
Ernesto and Eddy were supported by Pablo Calzado. Pablo was seated in that darker corner of the Sultan Jazz Club's stage, and I say this purely as an excuse for the grainy photographs, taken with ISO sometimes over 5000.
Do that conga
Pablo
His equipment looked to me like half a drum set completed with the Latin standard  congas. He hammered away on this rhythm set with all his energy like there was no tomorrow. But for me tomorrow did come, and to make it timely to my day job in the morning, I had to leave for my nights rest, before the last set even started . I am still wondering if anybody got to dance?? In between the sets I had a quick chat with Pablo, who told me the band formation is still in his early stages, and is scheduled for a return at the Sultan, next months with a female singer. I would say from my experience last night,  definitely worth going. Trio or trio +1.
Drama included
Enrique

Eddy
Heartbreaking

No comments:

Post a Comment