Saturday, April 27, 2013

Soul needs heart


Sarah Cheng–De Winne & the Soul Bros


Sarah Cheng - De Winne


Euntaek Kim Keyboards
Jase Sng Bass
Adam Shah Drums


To be honest, last night, I was initially not much captured by the happenings on stage at Blu Jaz Cafe. After my dinner at the “next door” Muzeum, where the garlic yoghurt sauce is almost like home, I bumped into some friendly familiar faces and was hanging out with them outside. In between I walked to the usually inviting doorway a couple of times. My first observation, it appeared the audience was more glamorous than the usually gang at Blu Jaz.
That could however not be the reason why I did not get drawn in. Could it??  Part of it, though, must have been the lovely people I was talking to outside. But there was also something missing. After my company left, I did look for and found myself a table inside. I had come this evening with my zoom lens and wanted to "practice" with that a little bit. 



It appeared the volume of the vocals had improved significantly, between the first and second set, so singer and band sounded a bit more balanced, live was looking up. 





Even for the pictures. Sarah, dressed in a fluorescent yellow dress, looked the role to attract the necessary attention!
 Occasionally there was some fire from the piano,

but my impression of the backup band remained, uninspired. 














 Once I decided to ignore that, I also found myself listening better to the singing and thought Sarah's voice more and more intriguing. Her higher pitch was crystal clear but it was when she dove onto the lower range, that package became really interesting. 




I personally appreciated it more when Sarah was lingering in that lower range of her voice, than going for the high pitch.To me that's more of a Bob thing.  That's really where I have to leave it, (not) reviewing last nights’ performance.


I really don't want this to be about critiquing, it's about showing there's more to life than channel 5. This morning after going through the pictures I took, and remembering the good moments, I realized there were plenty. In the end I had a good evening.


 If anything it raised my curiosity and would like to go see Sarah singing again, when the opportunity arises. I saw a good singer, had a good conversation with two very nice people, and got to enjoy my favorite garlic yoghurt sauce of which by the end of the evening the flavor and some of the memory was washed away by a couple of cold Duvels. Who's complaining in Singapore?



Jam guest Rizal

Added a bit of the missing show.


No comments:

Post a Comment