Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sa in Music would be Trio

Sa in Music would be Trio

Sa Trio

Natalie Alexandra
 Sitting at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant on Killiney, it's a bit my local, for a quick bite, I am wrestling with this dilemma on where to go. Many things have changed in the 6 over years I have been in Singapore. There is more choice then I can handle. I am debating between young musicians sharing there originals at the funky gallery/cafe the Artistry (Artistry), or back to Sultan for Sa Trio. I have no idea who they are or what they do,  but their flyer attracted my curiosity. With this I already decided to visit Blu Jaz tomorrow, instead of today, for the second of the two nights with Jeremy's organ Trio.

Cheryl Ong
 I decide to go Sultan and, surprise, surprise, Sa Trio (Sa Trio (Singapore)) turns out to be a band of young musicians playing their original music. Trained in classical Asian instruments they have taken their skills and interests to a much more contemporary music experience. Using electronic sound techniques like looping, in combination with their Chinese classical instruments and their sometimes a bit psychedelic compositions, they provided me with a expanded perspective on local music. 

 The band members are 1.Natalie Alexandra on Guzheng, something that looks to me like the mix between a guitar and a harp, 

Natalie Alexander
2. Cheryl Ong on drums, this week appears to be a week of peculiar drum sets (see my blog Cuban chill), this one was a combo of the "standard" drums with the kind of drums you see at the lion dance, (my apologies for these ang mo observations), 


Andy C
Cheryl Ong
3. Andy C. playing flutes, didgeridoo and, should I call it, electronics. 








Natalie Alexandra
 Sa, as explained by Andy is from a northern Chinese dialect and if pronounced properly, it means 3 humans. In this case 3 talented humans with an interest and objective to bring something new, and though from a visual perspective it may appear static, the music is moving!
Andy C.












Cheryl Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment