Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Mosaic Dance: 150 Colorful Pieces of different shapes and sizes





As I mentioned in one of my most recent posts, it is thanks to this blog and the people I befriend through music that I get to know about more and more events happening in Singapore. 
And so it came about that we found ourselves in the front row of the Khoo auditorium of the Singapore Chinese Girls School, curiously waiting for what was to come. 

It must have been months ago that I met Christina at Sing Jazz and discussed my Photography interest being mainly around performances. She mentioned she was into dancing and so we exchanged information. 


I am telling you this all from Christina’s memory because I do not remember the conversation that vividly. We apparently exchanged information and so it was that a couple of weeks ago I got a message, asking if I was interested to attend the Mosaic dance 4th Anniversary Recital.


After confirming to see if we were free that particular weekend, it was easy to say yes so I communicated our names to be left at the front desk for our entry and we were all set.  

Christina apparently has a talent for organization and keeping a tight leash on who ever she involves so last Sunday morning I received a message asking me if I was all geared up to be present at 7 PM. I confirmed I was. 


With an early dinner in our stomachs we jumped on our motorbike around 6:45. Missing the entrance to the school at Dunearn Road, caused us to arrive only at 7:15, but well in time for some pre-show photos and to take our seats. 


Christina clearly built a bit of a buffer. Time management, another trade of a good organizer.

And so it was that almost at the dot of 8, the MCs scaled the steps of the stage. I am normally not a big fan of them chatterboxes, but I have to admit that these two were entertaining and their humor was not as tacky as what you usually experience. 


What I also realized was that they were not just talkers, but both involved in the show as either choreographer, dancer or both. They knew what they were talking about.  


 Like music, I theoretically or technically know nothing about dancing but still want to make this one observation. 

I understood that the levels of the, all together 150 odd, people in total on stage, mostly differentiated by months or years of experience, were very different. 


From what I observed I could see the importance of choreography. Though some people were beginners that possibly danced more in the weeks leading up to the show than in the rest of their lives, 

the choreography cleverly matched their ability and therefore the overall presentation was often great, as was the variety. From big groups of hair tossing individuals 

to, what was by far my favourite, a couple performing, from its presentation a very intimate affair, in near slow motion, with a strong sense of melancholy. 















I am not sure if the people performing that dance were actually a couple in real-life. They looked it, yet in my heart I hope not. I am hoping they were “just” dance partners who were able to convey the impression of intense intimacy through their individual passion for dancing! 
 






 






No comments:

Post a Comment