Saturday, June 27, 2015

A Hundred Flowers: Indie for Nepal




Extended conversation is not  really my thing. I am more a to the point person. I do think friendliness comes a long way though. For instance this week one morning a cleaning lady was just done wiping my desk when I arrived. I sat down and said “Nice clean desk, thank you” response. “No one ever thanked me for what I do” followed by a warm smile. I guess a good start of the day for both of us. Because of that simple friendliness the cleaning staff chats with me. 



The day before I was asked by her colleague how old one of the cleaners was. All of them wearing uniforms and tudong and blessed with the south east Asian skin, I knew I was setup to fail, she looked much younger than she probably is. Conversation got into old age and the woman herself said that the body was aging but the mind and heart were still young. 

  
We are probably not that far apart in age and I would agree, that at this stage in life, aging is more physical than anything else. Maybe because my mind was never that great, there is not much room for regress and there is evidence of my heart still being too youthful. I definitely don’t feel as old as I maybe should. 



That and probably growing up in the late sixties early 70's, with exposure to a wide variety of music drew me to Aliwal on Saturday. Some caring, energetic and enthusiastic people organized a small benefit concert for Nepal dubbed A Hundred Flowers



A concert by 4 local bands was announcted, probably one would classify it as Indie Rock. What do I know, and I actually do not really care what box one says it belongs in. I had bought our tickets in advance at Peatix. Nice little app. No paper, no nonsense. 

 
Just make sure your phone is charged when you have to show the ticket confirmation and let the show begin. Soon enough we found ourselves inside the very functional performance space of Aliwal arts centre surrounded by people that were mostly less than half our age. 

  
It reminded me of a newspaper article I read, excuse me if the details are incorrect, but I think it was about a concert of a band like AC/DC and an approximately 63 year old man that was there to enjoy it. To the journalist it was apparently newsworthy enough to write about. I thought “but It is our 60s 70s generation that developed the appreciation for sounds of the electric guitar, that strange liking for loud. This journalist should not find it special that this man is there, he should wonder where his head banging friends are”

  
Yes this blog started with the announcement that I was going to write mostly about Jazz. But you live and learn. There is not enough Jazz going around to keep writing something new on a regular basis. Jazz is also an appreciation that I developed a lot later, well into my 30's, that does not mean I should lose my appreciation for Rock, especially not alternative. 



According to my last medical test though, my ears have suffered a bit from it, yes a clear sign of physical aging so nowadays we bring ear-plugs. Sadly enough it blurs the sound a bit but at least I could follow a conversation in between the sets formed by
Description: https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Bakers in space:




The Voodoo sound





Riot in Magenta





WYD-SYD





So Uncle thoroughly enjoyed the hundred flower concert. Of course I was thrilled to see my most favourite leading lady, the deliciously dramatic Ginny, 


but also very much impressed with the Voodoo sound, great lyrics and powerful presentation despite missing half of the two front men and one of the four drummers. The guy on the kit made up for it.



 The only disappointment, because of the earplugs, I did not leave for home with that high pitch sound in my ear that used to be there. I still love to rock but the days of “Rock or Bust” may be gone.









No comments:

Post a Comment