Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sachiyo; After the super Moon a bright sparkle




My regular companion on our little music ventures, was busy with work last Monday night, the day after spectacular super moon, so rather than sitting at home staring at the TV by myself, I decided to take the bike to Blu Jaz. I had seen an invite for a performance on the 3rd floor. Blu Jaz is also not a bad place to have a decent meal so I went straight over. Monday nights are rarely crowded so I perched myself at one of my favorite tables. One of those with bar stools. Oddly enough I, especially when by myself, I find the low seating too formal. Of course when you walk into Blu Jaz no one would expect any form a formality, I guess this is one of my quirks. People that know me would probably conclude it is not my strangest. After a satisfying meal, which, due to my strict no drinking and driving policy, I had with a hot tea, I went upstairs. The room was rather quiet, but as I said to the organizer at some point an 8 o’clock start is a little early in this town. Soon enough I recognized the faces of the back up band

Hiroaki Maekawa


Mei Sheum



Tama Goh



It appeared that I had met Sachiyo ones or twice before but I was not aware she was a singer.



The invitation mentioned Pop, Jazz, Bossa Nova and Ethnic music. With these genres you can go anywhere and suspect any thing. It turned out to be a nice song list of tunes sung in English Japanese Chinese and Malay, a very enjoyable blend of Asian cultures. The song choice, was mostly relaxing tunes. To me the nicest moment was when Sachiyo sang only with Mei on the piano. 





Mei especially seemed very much into the song accompanying Sachiyo’s voice perfectly  all along the way. Sachiyo’s voice is, to me surprisingly clear and extremely pleasant, in conversation, when introducing the next song, or while singing.





 I can say that last Monday was one of those evenings that I mostly enjoy when I go to the music events in Singapore. There may not seem to be too many shiny stars, but there are bright sparkles to discover.









No comments:

Post a Comment