Saturday, June 22, 2013

Indigo at a glance of Dawn

 
I hesitated for quite some time before I decided to leave the house on Friday evening.  The haze had been so think during the day!!! We even had dinner inside at our local Orange Lantern. I think that never happened in the 6 years we have been living in this neighborhood. But, when we left Michelle, we found that the wind had dispersed the smoke a lot…already. So after we got home, I packed up my camera and left for Kampong Glam. I’d seen some postings on African music at the Artistry and thought I’d figure it out from there. The kampong is a bit of a Bermuda triangle for me to get lost in, with Artistry, Sultan and Blu Jaz always having something to offer. As a bonus my friend Kino is back working her miracles with liquor  at Barstories, so there is always a good reason to stroll via Haji Lane from one place to the other. As I passed Artistry by taxi it looked like it was quiet so I made Barstories my first stop.  Just to say hello really, didn’t feel much like a cocktail at that time.  After that brief visit I headed over to Jln Pinang to see what was going on there. The DJ had started spinning the promised African beats. I ordered a beer and soon enough found myself entertained by a small crowd, but especially by the video of a Fela Kuti concert that was showing in the background. It was not exactly a setup where you whip out your camera and start taking pictures so I refrained from that until the room got dark enough to just pick up some siluettes.



 Next stop was Blu Jaz. In the mean time I had figured out that they were having Indigo!

Munir Alsagoff Guitar



Kevin Guoh Sax and things

Dawn Ho Vocals

And surprise surprise
Mohamed Noor Drums


Indigo is a project of the band members, where they focus on Brazilian style music and the songs are sang in the original Portuguese language.  It was quiet at Blu Jaz. The haze had obviously scared many people off, but that created the opportunity to sit back and relax and listen to the music. In my opinion a better setting for Indigo’s layed back Latin style.


There is no need to say that Dawn’s strong features are a lust for the lens. For the occasion she had pulled her hair back into a tight ponytail, it almost looked a deliberate attempt to try to match the hairless skulls of the three other performers. 

As usual at Blu Jaz the later sets evolve into a jam session, and it appears to have become a standard for Leonardo, the new Chef of Piedra Negra to come over and unwind from a working day and start playing the congas. 


It’s amazing to see how much energy he still has after lifting pots and pans all day.  



 The other Leo, started a contest with Kevin on the instrument of wind. I still don’t know what it really is called, but I did notice this time that, from the side, it looks like a model of a high-speed train. 



Casey treated us with a couple lovely tunes as well, and I am still wondering how I missed taking a some shots of him. It must have been the Duvel in me. 

Archive
After bumping into some pleasurable individuals, musicians and friends included, at the end of another simply fun night, time had come to head home, a taxi was found fast this time, a positive side effect of the haze.   
If only the haze could be a bit like Indigo and not grey, it could be more tolerable (This one is for Bani)
















1 comment:

  1. The name of the instrument my friend is EWI ( electronic wind instrument)
    Thanks for the lovely comments. Leo Munoz.

    ReplyDelete