Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sunday Black Sabbath Sunday - Noise reduction on override


  Last Sunday was again a beautiful weather day. Probably thanks to a strong breeze, the haze, that was promised to be quite bad for some days to come, had been blown away. With no commitments until the early evening, it was nice to have the day to us. Which meant breakfast on the balcony, accompanied by some light entertainment from the Straights Times Life section. The evening prior, at Blu Jaz CafĂ©, we saw some familiar faces supporting Alicia Pan.


Aaron Lee

Bani Rahman

Munir Alsagoff

Some how I missed taking a shot of Alicia, but I am sure she has enough of her own already. 

At Blu Jaz we also ran into Bernhard, who told us about this Black Sabbath special afternoon at the Silver Club on Kitchener road, Little India. I'd told him I might stop by. 
As the day progressed on Sunday I became more and more serious about that.
Contradictory to what I was likely going to find at the Silver Club I decided to first get a haircut.
At about 3pm I walked into the silver club, which, apart from a column blocking the view
to the stage from certain angles, 

turned out to be a very decent music space. The crowd was kind of unusual and varied from heavily tattooed rockers and bikers with or without long wavy hair…


to smiling ladies with tudong. Who said Singaporeans aren’t friendly. And there was of course Bernhard…, after my arrival, no longer the only white guy in the audience. The set up was an afternoon filled with quick rotating bands and at the time I had settled in with a beer in one hand and camera in the other, a new band had filled the stage. Contradictory to my earlier descriptions, this looked more like a band of white collar rockers, 




with the lead singer suspiciously looking like John Turturro with a bit of a sixpack. 



The band name…Megalomania?!!












Second up was Unexpected... Unexpected about it for me was that their bassist played a strong role on the visual side of the performance. 


Highly engaged and animated he managed to attract the attention of my camera lens. 



My equipment however was stretch almost to the max to be able to catch the more active performance on the sparsely lit stage. Good thing however with ISO up to16000, I was definitely going to catch the noise.

A close second to the bassist was the singer in his cool extreme outfit. 




Now I mentioned singer, while, so far, they both did, what I would call an ok job, I now realized that hard rock or metal is not an easy choice for a singer. It does take real skills. The leader of the third band very well displayed this. He, in my opinion, had it down to the sleeveless T.

I did not stay for my third act. My friends had left already and I did remember it was a nice day outside. I decided to meander my way through little India and beyond the “Wicked World”.

No comments:

Post a Comment