Monday, March 2, 2015

4th Element from Shillong: Earth Wind Fire and Music of course




There was a resounding “yes” from my wife when the band announced their origin being Shillong India. She lived there many many years ago, and nostalgic memories of obviously good times came up with that announcement.



Like almost to everything, there was a good and a bad side to that resounding, at least if you also look at it from a literal perspective.  Sadly Singjazz that evening was almost empty and the yes echoed a bit up into the high ceiling.


That again had its good sides because I could do what I rarely do and that is move around to pick different angles of the Sing Jazz Club stage.



Good bad ugly aside, the opener was fantastic and my wife’s evening and therefore mine were made.  Especially because the singer has an “oh so lovely” voice and the music was not disturbed by conversation around us. It was luxury to have a band like this perform for us almost privately and who ever reads this should now be jealous!!! 



My wife mentioning that Shillong was quite famed for its music culture, made me curious. So I went on line and looked for some information about Shillong. 
For India standards it’s really a small town of about 150000 no I did not miss a zero. Initially I did not see a lot of references to music until I found this.


A NY Times music article which, for me, totally unraveled the mystery of why this young woman standing in front of the band sang the blues like she was born in Chicago. 


The other band members also appeared to be very serious musicians.   



2 are full timers and the others have a link to family or own businesses ranging from hospitality to education, which according to the article is big business in Shillong. 


Of course we sat out all three sets, that were filled with bluesy, jazzy, funky covers and originals.  We chatted with the band members in between sets:

Amit Mullick Guitar



Jeffrey Z. Laloo Bass



Ribor Mb Keyboard



Sam Shullai Drums 



Sarahlee Nicholas Vocals



Very nice people, friendly…warm. Life cannot be too bad in Shillong. 



For all the time I put in my posts and picture, these little cheap thrills are the most rewarding. Watching and listening to the 4th Element stimulated my curiosity and I got to know that Shillong rocks.


















No comments:

Post a Comment