Thursday, January 8, 2015

Shu Mei Jesse Yap and Band: Comfortable without vocals




I was happy to opt for an evening at Blu Jaz the Saturday after Christmas. I read that Shu Mei Yap would be playing. It had been ages since we met Shu Mei for the first time, but I am almost sure it was at Blu Jaz, probably not too long after we discovered the place. Less long but definitely too long ago we saw her play, so that evening was a great opportunity to catch up with Shu Mei and on her music.





I like Shu Mei, of course she is firstly a lovely lady, but what I really like about her is that sometimes she seemed to turn in to that young woman that discovered the true connection with her violin for the first time after all these hours of practice. 



Like many musicians, she is reserved until on stage. All smiles and vivaciousness she presents us the beautiful sound of the violin. I’ve heard her play different styles and was at some point quite surprised how rocky it can get, but this evening it would be belated Christmas carols, she mentioned in her introduction.

Ouch, 



Christmas carols, not exactly my favorite, but we were there and decided to stick around till it got too much!



I’ve always maintained I was not much of a lyrics man, but discovered soon how they actually can make or break a song for me. Christmas Carols by a band of

Bobby Singh on drums



Daniel Purnomo on bass


Karen Lim on keys



Lead by violin, without the words, can actually be quite nice. 


These melodies must be quite old by now but are still doing it for me, so it turned out that we were in for a nice evening. 



Not that we were likely to go anywhere because it had turned winter in Singapore, with the appropriate precipitation, for the climate that is…A massive downpour.  



That means that everything, blue or yellow, sad or scared, disappears into the night. The reservation system tells you to try again in 10 minutes but might as well say 60, by which time you have tried so often your phone is out of battery.   


So what is there better to do than listening to the comforting sounds of a violin










No comments:

Post a Comment