Friday, January 9, 2015

Art Fazil:What the Folk SG it's not so Black and White





It seems a contradiction to say thanks to an unfortunate event in the recent past I started picking up reading again. Leaving the event and reason aside, I picked up some books with a more or less popular-psychology topic. I recently finished Quiet describing a bit of the ins of introverts. 



Now I have picked up Subliminal discussing how little of our behavior we actually directly influence although we think we are under control.



Interestingly I am starting to develop a direct connection between the photos I take (still very careful not to use the word photography, false modesty no doubt) and my interpretation of the words I read. In an earlier post I already highlighted the beauty of Quietness on stage when observing Richard Jackson. 



Reading Subliminal I am starting to wonder why practically all musicians close their eyes when they start playing emotionally intense sections. Then of course I have to start wondering why I gravitate more towards those pictures.  


I can only guess because, I have no research to back up anything but, I do think that’s why we listen to music, for the emotion, and when in case of live music it is supported by visuals, it of course makes it come to life.


Other than a couple of shots of, what I think are nice examples that I showed just now of Art Fazil and Bani Rahman, there is no real connection between my babble and the band.  The band is a bit of a different story. Actually there was no band that evening at Artistry. 


The “What the Folk SG” session officially featured the folk singer Art Fazil who took care of the first set by himself with some originals and a bit of covers



The second set was a jam with Art,



 Bani on bass



 and Jerme Yeo on drums



All against a back drop of the exhibition Black and White by Leo Poloniecki.



But nothing ever is:


 
 
Folk music probably because of one of its primary representatives Bob Dylan for me is very much related to lyrics with social criticism, which makes me immediately think of the unfortunate events in Paris this week. Don’t worry I am not getting on the bandwagon of “Je suis Charlie” because I am not! Until last week I had no idea who/what Charlie Hebdo was. If I had known their publications, I am honest enough to say that from a personal perspective, I may have said in some cases “is that really necessary”. I am not that confrontational, at least not if I do not exactly and specifically know who I am addressing. 


I do believe that freedom of expression is a great good and as all "good" in life, it does not come for free, except maybe good music at Artistry, but normally we will have to make our choices as individuals. Due to my choice, I tread lightly because freedom to me is much more than being able to write what I like. For one there is the choice of who I share a room with or being able to open my front door. I do however quietly admire anyone who breaks the waves; for what (s)he believes strongly is right, within or outside of their own culture, in any way or form and without using violence!


I admire them because of their sacrifices, as it cannot come free, but having to pay with your physical freedom or being, is too big a price, under any circumstance!




Believe it or not but at this very moment, they are playing Bob Dylan (Like a Rolling Stone) on my radio station --Subliminal???)!!



More babble sorry. Back to music... Ah forget it. I am not in the mood to write more. Just enjoy the photos. I hope they show how much I enjoyed the evening!







 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment