Sunday, January 25, 2015

But not a C.H.O.P.P.A.-holic yet



I looked for some background on C.H.O.P.P.A. a and found the following that I am quoting from SG


 “One for the true hipsters, this experimental music festival will feature more than 15 artists from around the world over three nights, playing electronic, acoustic, jazz and avant-garde music. Featuring Burkhard Beins, Gerry Hemingway and Daysuke Takaoka, among many others, this is the place to be if you are into the underground music scene.” 



According to the Wikipedia description of hipster this music genre does not really fit into their scene but there may not be another way to describe C.H.O.P.P.A.’s audience. I have to admit after visiting the C.H.O.P.P.A. festival for two evenings, I do not really know what the audience type was. 




Firstly almost all sets were so dimly lit that the audience was unidentifiable because of the dark, but when the light came on between the sets, I don’t think I saw many hipsters. It was all kinds of people I would say and thanks to me quite a big age range. 


Like the musicians were people from across the globe. Aussies, Asians, Europeans and a stray American. 


I have often times repeated that I am not familiar with techniques of music. I just read a post by Jeremy Monteiro today about fast and faster and it went completely over my head. Like probably most of the music specifics do when I attempt to listen. I don’t know how to read music and cannot play an instrument. But…what I have been maintaining is that for me a live music experience is not a live experience if the musicians do not seem to feel themselves into what they are doing. 



Now many people may claim that whatever was presented at C.H.O.P.P.A., is not music. I am sure what is being performed is not captured in scores and it will be a challenge to replay what was played before, to a close similarity. It does look to me though that the musicians do feel themselves into this music very much. 



Every sound that is being produced is made more purposeful with very explicit body language. Instruments are put to the test of their ability to produce sound by uncommon application and the utilization of all kinds of “kitchen” ware. Be it chopsticks or pots and pans.



And it all seems to be done for good reason! It is more sound by feeling than feeling by sound. The intensity is not for the show, but it helps to make the show. I know some of the C.H.O.P.P.A. artists will cringe at the word show, 


because that is not at all their objective, but I was there, sitting on the other side of the equation, and am giving it my perspective!


It may have been that part that attracts me to this genre, sometimes described by music "lovers" as noise. It may also be the combination of that noise and the body language, but I have to admit every time I go to C.H.O.P.P.A. it grows on me a little more. 













No comments:

Post a Comment