Sunday, September 1, 2013

Yotam Silberstein Jazz trio: a quiet moment of music.





I started writing this blog in the hope of knowing more about what there is to offer on live music in Singapore. It is working to the extent that I get consistent Facebook invitations from the musicians and bands that I am linked to via Facebook’s database. It turns out though that it is not improving for musicians that I am not familiar with. Like last Saturday night for instance, it was through a posting by Aya Sekine, that I heard about this guitarist playing with his trio at Sultan Jazz club.  Something made me curious about them, I am not sure if it was just the novelty, or the “if they are from abroad, they must be good!??”.  It also was going to be Hendrix Nite at Blu Jaz though and in my mind, I had committed to that. So I found myself split between a band featuring the guitar works of a Blues and Rock legend and a guitarist who is an up and coming star in the New York Jazz scene. Split between Bali Lane on the south side of Kampong Glam and Jalan Sultan on the north. Between Blu Jaz and the Sultan Jazz club. But more importantly I was split between, what  could become a night of unadulterated fun until my head was in a purple haze and an evening of serious listening among champagne drinkers and cigar smokers (On the balcony only). I could not choose. I decided I could go see Bani only after listening the first set to Yotam and his trio.

There is something to be said about a real band. I mean a group of people, in this case three, who dedicate a significant amount of time playing together. It just shows. You can see it in the dynamics, if they look at each other for a signal it is more with an expectation of something that will happen in the next second, 

than with a question “what are you thinking of next?”.  Often times however they are able to follow each other blindly. All that comes through in the performance.
Another thing I particularly liked about this show, was that the drummer treated the skin of the drums, like it was skin, that highly sensitive organ of a living creature that, in my opinion, and I know there are others, you do treat gently for the best results.
 Thirdly, Yotam had the guts to ask the audience to listen to the music quietly. I think he said it mostly for himself, so he could stay concentrated on the music. It was that kind of music where you should be listening to and far too often, people do not get the picture and continue to have a loud conversation,  at the expense not only of the musicians concentration but also of the listening audience. 

A  special thank you goes out to Sultan’s staff this evening. They played into this request for a quiet zone, by keeping the door to the hallway closed to avoid any noise from outside.  The only thing that now needs a noise cover is the register’s printer ;-)
It was a pleasure to listen to Yotam and the band. I found myself regularly just listening, camera on the table, chin on my hands, tempted to close my eyes, just able to keep them open to capture a fun moment.

 I knew it was going to be short, cause I had to go see Bani, but didn’t know it would be this sweet… and I am again going tonight (Sun Sept 1 2013 7:45---Sultan Jazz club)


No comments:

Post a Comment