Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Crozzroads: The intersection of Orchard and Angulia Park



When home alone I never make plans very much in advance. I had an idea to go to The Sportsman Bar but that was nothing fixed or certain. So an invitation for a get together with one of the loveliest percussionist I have ever seen and a gorgeous belly dancer, could easily change my mind. This weekend was brightened by the visit of the wonderful Simona Abdallah from Denmark. 

I met her few months ago at a charity event organized by an equally wonderful Angelina Tay. 
For last Saturday Angelina had organized a dinner get together at Levant, a Middle Eastern restaurant on Greenwood Avenue, where Angelina performs on a regular basis.  


 In addition to Angelina and Simona the group was completed with a few more musicians and me. The food was good the wine was generous and nothing can go wrong with this kind of company. I was happy that I chose Levant over the Sportsman. A little later Robert Nalin joined us and it was Robert who suggested to go hang out at… The Sportsman Bar. Coincidences are never there without a reason so as of that moment I was pretty determined to go there. After saying goodbye to part of the group we; Angelina, Simona, Robert and myself, got into a cab heading for Orchard. Robert was familiar with the place and the band. It was helpful that he was there because the place is not necessarily easy to find. It is located on the second floor of the Far East shopping center (not Plaza) right above Harry’s.  The bar was pretty much empty when we arrived. I guess there was some serious competition, with the F1 caravan in town. The four of us directly added some life to the place. The band was playing and it sounded pretty good to me so there was no reason not to order a beer and have a seat. Crozzroads. the band, I suspect it is the house band. They were featuring Charlie Anchant that night.



The bar itself is a bit dark and decoration is basic. The band members however, including Charlie, are a colorful and eclectic group of musicians.

Billy Das - Lead Guitar & Vocals

Aziz - Bass Guitar & Vocals

Cedric Cork - Drums & Vocals

Charlie Anchant Vocals Harmonica and flute



The spotlights added quite a bit of color to the place as well. It lit the musicians in red, green, blue or tungsten at regular interval. 


The music selection was mostly rock and blues and I couldn’t help myself asking for “The thrill is gone”. This tune has made such a massive impact on me ever since I heard it. I must have been in my early teens. I had already gone to bed but was listening to my transistor radio for a bit before I went to sleep. Some clever person had merged the guitar intro on the speech of Martin Luther King. He had a dream and together with the thrill is gone, it kept me awake for a bit. I don’t know if a lot of people like the song as much as I do but it seems that most rock blues bands know how to play it. I must say that Crozzroads did not just pay it. 

They made a symphony of it, a lovely long version with solos for guitar harmonica and drums. Mentioning drums they were occupied by Robert Nalin for the occasion. 

So our companion Robert had a good time. 

I think Simona had a good time and I had a good time for sure. I don’t know about Angelina though. She was not familiar with most of the numbers played and belly dancing to Cream's "White Room" doesn't really jive. For me it just good to know The Sportsman Bar is there and that Friday, Saturday or Sunday I can still go listen to some good old rock and blues.






No comments:

Post a Comment