Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Hendrix Bani Rahman Experience


 

I started writing this blog in the hope of knowing more about what there is to offer on live music in Singapore. It is working to the extent that I get consistent Facebook invitations from the musicians and bands that I am linked to via Facebook’s database. It turns out though that it is not improving for musicians that I am not familiar with. Like last Saturday night for instance, it was through a posting by Aya Sekine, 

that I heard about this guitarist playing with his trio at Sultan Jazz club.  Something made me curious about them, I am not sure if it was just the novelty, or the “if they are from abroad, they must be good!??”.  It also was going to be Hendrix Nite at Blu Jaz though and in my mind, I had committed to that. So I found myself split between a band featuring the guitar works of a Blues and Rock legend and a guitarist who is an up and coming star in the New York Jazz scene. Split between Bali Lane on the south side of Kampong Glam and Jalan Sultan on the north. Between Blu Jaz and the Sultan Jazz club. But more importantly I was split between, what  could become a night of unadulterated fun until my head was in a purple haze and an evening of serious listening among champagne drinkers and cigar smokers (On the balcony only). I could not choose. 
 I decided to do both and go for the first set listening to Yotam and after that go see Bani.

When I arrived at Blu Jaz I arrived right in the thick of it .“All along the watch tower” was on with Bani Rahman on bass and vocals backed up by:

Regi Leo Guitar
Wei Tan Keys
Aaron James Lee Drums
No one would deny that Hendrix is a legend, that has not seen an equal yet, so I was actually wondering who would be doing what. It appeared that they had Hendrix’s versatility covered between Bani, Regi and Wei.

Bani as mentioned covered voice,

Regi guitar for the rocky bluesy solos and 

Wei would take up the space in  Hendrix’ solo repertoire where things get a little bit more psychedelical. 
 
The only thing missing was the dress code, and choreography like playing the guitar from the back. From a visual perspective, Bani being a lefty was the only thing the band had in common.  

We all know Bani as an accomplished bassist with a wide interest in music. On Saturday he also did a great job living himself into the roll of Jimmy the vocalist. So much so that even in the announcements, his voice and drawl were quite similar to that of the guitar virtuoso. I was briefly reminded of Whoopy Goldberg in Ghost how her voice changed when a ghost occupied her body. Maybe I should have walked up to Bani and asked “Johnny, are you in there?”. 
 As for the other band members Regi did his thing on the guitar admirably. How do you compete with a man who wore the guitar like a necklace, and according to history even took it to the toilet. The natural looseness with which Hendrix played cannot easily be imitated.

 I’ve not ever seen Wei having so much fun behind the keyboards. I normally see him play Jazz and he takes that very seriously. 
Aaron James Lee, I like the ring of that three part name, went even a step beyond that. I have seen him slip in the occasional smile but Saturday night he was like a pony let loose, jumping off his seat pounding the skin like a true rocker. 
The audience picked up all that energy so easily. From where I was sitting, I could see they enjoyed themselves thoroughly. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. As mentioned many of them were musicians and a jam, with an impressive line up was unavoidable.

See Weng Choy

Loke (I think)


Abdul Shukor Jalil


Aya Sekine


Corey Manders


Casey

 Richard Jackson

I had no regrets listening to the first set of Yotam, but would not have wanted to miss the rest of the Hendrix night for the world!








No comments:

Post a Comment