Saturday, May 4, 2013

Tokyoblue bright and new!


Tokyoblue bright and new!





















It was rather last minute that I realized the gig was not at Sultan, but at Blu Jaz. Things are a bit confusing, since there is no central source for this type of information. Yes I do have about 15 events listed on my facebook calendar for the week and it was actually a last minute facebook Invitation from Alemay Fernandez




 for her Thursday gig at Sultan that made me realize my mistake, however I do feel it's always a scramble to know who is where, which makes planning in advance a challenge. The good thing was it made our choice for dinner easy, Blu Jaz or Piedra Negra around the corner. It became Piedra where our dear friend Aileen introduced us to the new chef.



 

 It looks like there will be a bit of novelty to look forward to, at our favorite Mexican hang out. First test will be Cinco di Mayo celebrations on Saturday. 

It was so nice chilling and chatting with Aileen and Leonardo, that we missed most of the first set of TokyoBlue. When we finally arrived at the scene it had nearly ended. 



 
Those last tunes where enticing enough though for us to decide to get comfortable with a drink and to wait for what more was to come. Tokyo Blue is a trio project by Hiro Maekawa (Bass)



 and Ywenna Carollin (Keys) 



completed by Pablo Calzado (Drums). 



They are playing original compositions that consist of loungie piano play, funky bass lines and awesome drum solos. One tune, the contribution from Pablo appeared to be equal, in length, to The Hobbit (added the link in case you are not familiar with the 10 minute + solo by Alvin Lee and Ten years after). 









It was therefore practically fully dedicated to his drumming virtuosity. It was not expecting that peoples ears could perk up even more, but it did happen when Hiros heavier 4 string set was complimented by the lighter tones of a guitar, regretfully the name of the person that came on stage slipped my mind, but I am sure he will be mentioned during later events. 


I know I should not be critical about things I don't know much about but can you really write a blog without being opinionated by nature. It's also definitely wrong to take my own taste as a standard for all, but last night I could not help but thinking, that it was crazy that this stuff does not have higher commercial value. There is so much fun to be had beyond Beyonce, or a "far cry" from Psy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment