Sunday, May 5, 2013

Helen Sung: The Singapore connection


























Somehow I feel Helen Sung felt right at home here in Singapore. I loved her reference to the several musicians present at the Sultan, and especially her expressing that she felt a sense of community among our local Jazz musicians. That I think you do not really get when you are not open to it. Of course her background, born in Houston Texas to Chinese immigrants could help a little in getting a bit warm and fuzzy about Singapore, if only because Singapore and Houston are two huge seaports in an equally hot and humid climate. But Helen lives in New York now, where, I can say from a 12 year experience, living is a whole lot of fun, but work in the various industries can be cut throat and the entertainment industry, very likely, is  not an exception. So then I can see what she appreciates about the Singapore environment, where, from my point of view, it is one big family of friendly and fun musicians. I think she was very much genuine about that observation.

The evening had started early for us. On the eve of Cinco di Mayo there must have been several Mexico related parties in the city, and we had chosen to go back to our local Mexican Piedra Negra, for margaritas and lovely soft tacos stuffed with 5 different meat and flavors. Good food and perfect for a street party. Singapore LTA has made a wonderful decision to close Haji lane for traffic during the weekend evenings. I never understand why people insist on going through there anyway, but some may say because I can. 

The already very festive looking, but regretfully contested, murals of Piedra Negra were complemented with banners of the Mexican national colors.The atmosphere was enhanced with live music, of a Brazilian drum group and a Latin music band.
We had to tear ourselves away from the festivities because we made reservations at the Sultan to see Helen Sung. In retrospect it was a good thing to do, because, for one I am glad I did not miss Helen, Christy and Wen playing that night, but staying at Piedra would have meant more tequila and more food, of which both, I think, I had enough already for the night.



As usual we were early at the Sultan, I’m one of those people that think 9:30 is 9:30. While the room was filling up we noticed some familiar faces, some, as Helen mentioned, people from the music scene, some however acquaintances from elsewhere. 









After a couple of chats and hellos it was time for the first set and we were also ready to sit back relax and let the tequila do the rest. The offering was a great blend of original music with some arrangements and to me it was so relaxing that the tequila rush was rapidly forgotten. At moments I felt seated on the tip of my chair.

I also noticed that in the back of the room, where at events like this it can be filled with conversation, sometimes too loud, this evening everyone was quietly listening. 



  Helen had the technique to capture the audience, during, as well as between the tunes, pretty much down. Every number was introduced with an interesting clarification of it’s source of inspiration or a story of it’s origin.



 The resulted a captivated audience. Maybe not in small ways also thanks to the contributions of Christy and Wen, who the pianist regularly introduced with great appreciation. 


 I am sure we will be seeing more of Christy and Wen, but I have a strong sense Helen will grace Singapore with another visit in the not so far future.






1 comment: