Saturday, October 24, 2015

Michelle and the Soft Toys: Passion with a smile



It has been long overdue that I posted some photos of Michelle. I often promised and we even discussed doing some posed stuff. It never happened. I even have a set of pictures from a gig on a Sentosa beach earlier this year but never got around to posting those. 


I don’t know what happened. It’s nothing personal. I like Michelle. Always good humored when I see her with a generous smile and personality. Michelle is also one of the “oldies”. When I talk about oldies I talk about the days that Bar Stop was still around. Like us, Michelle and her Soft Toys were a regular. Strange that you can be nostalgic about a time so short back. It is probably because life in this city goes so fast and things change so rapidly. 

 
At closure "Bar Stop the building" was to be sacrificed to new building development. It is still there, unlike some of the shop houses adjacent to it. Those have been replaced by a small apartment complex. On the left side facing Bar Stop, I will call it that until it is flat, also a new little condo. Otherwise, the old residence of a Japanese restaurant and music bar is still standing strong on its foundation, unused. 


But back to Michelle. Still surrounded by soft toys, but maybe different ones than we used to see, she was performing at Blu Jaz a week or so ago. Though Blu Jaz does not have the ideal lighting, I can have three different exposures in three rapid following clicks, the good thing is it is up close and personal and really informal. 

 

Because of more- or less-ideal lighting you also tend to pick your favorite subjects, in this case that allowed me to got some shots of William Gathright III in the groove.







Michelle is a teacher and mentor probably to several students but for one she is taking mentoring very seriously. She has been taking Sophia Joe along on many gigs to sing a few tunes. I saw the young lady sing earlier this year on that beach. I noticed this time that she had grown leaps and bounds in confidence and is getting to be a real good entertainer. Watch out for her.











Regretfully due to my original seating I did not catch much of Aaron. He was stuck behind a music stand from where I was positioned. 

 
As far as Benson Kong is concerned, standing a bit away from the podium he moved in and out of that low frequency spot light and was sometimes even too close for a good angle. 




Don’t get me wrong I am just describing the situation and have no complaints what so ever. For me the priority is the vibe, which always seems to be good at my second living room Blu Jaz. Secondly the music, which Michelle and the band took care of very nicely, and then only comes the taking picture part and this blogging thing.

 
Today I read an article by David Brooks in the New York Times, on passion, as in, the drive to accomplish something. One line stuck with me a bit more than the rest of the message. I am not a particularly passionate person where activities is concerned.


But they (passionate people) often have a fervent curiosity about their inner natures and an unquenchable thirst to find some activity that they can pursue wholeheartedly, without reservation.”


As noted you can drop the superlatives in my case but otherwise it’s true. Vibe + music + photos + blog and of course the beers quench my inner nature's thirst.



No comments:

Post a Comment