Monday, December 8, 2014

Jose Luis Montiel: Son of Mexico.



It is becoming my favorite place to go listen to some good Latin tunes. Senor Taco at Clark Quay; Singapore kind of reasonably priced, fun staff, good crowd and of course the great Ireson band with



Alina Ramirez Melendez



Martin Elias Reyes


Mario Alberto Lopez Lara



This time NOT with Carlos Sendros



The regular feature Leo Munoz



Something special would need to be offered for me to drag my butt to Clark Quay on a Sunday evening though. What drew me to it this particular Sunday night was Jose Luis Montiel



from Mexico who would be pleasing us with classic Son Cubano. Of course I had never heard of Luis till I received Alina’s invitation but I had heard of the genre Son. I guess everyone knows the beautiful melancholic tunes made popular by the Album Buena Vista Social club. 




Great music for Sunday evening blues. Louis though not from Cuba, to my uneducated ears, perfectly capturing the sentiments of the Cuban Son, melancholic, bluesy with a sense of humor that makes hard life more bearable.

 

On that Sunday night the audience seemed to be mainly the, to me, familiar Latin dance pack. I thought it put a bit of pressure on the band to move away form Son and play more Salsa style music. Only now I know, thanks to Wikipedia, that  several Latin dance music styles are derived from Son Cubano . 


So much for Melancholic and Bluesy. I guess those were the Buena Vista tunes that stuck most for me.


It was no longer the kind of relaxing evening I had intended to have but nevertheless very enjoyable.  Most people were, for the camera's ability, dancing in the dark, but it was still fun to play with the band members’ images and the "silhouettes"  in front of them


Not being much of a dancer myself I could only enjoy watching the dancers move, some more gracefully than others, with the music.   


And as an added advantage, I now had a reason to return the following Monday, because I was told, the band would stick more to the originally announced format... Son.










No comments:

Post a Comment