Monday, August 31, 2015

Stopgap


After nine years in Singapore going from one gig to another I am surprised about how little I know about the music scene in Singapore. Blinded by my attention to jazz and close off-springs I had no idea that there were so many bands. 


I was lucky to meet Bas, a fellow countryman, a few months ago. His knowledge of, and involvement in some parts of the local music scene that is unknown to me is so extraordinary, I almost think of following him for a documentary. It was Bas who first made me aware of TinHill Rock fest. 


  
This post however is not about TinHill. While we were out there, there was talk about the bands at Armenian street night fest and that they were going to be really nice as well. Some of you probably cannot believe we ditched Charlie Lim for Armenian street but I have to admit it was partly convenient as well. 

Armenian street is about walking distance from home. We had scheduled for a break after 4 hours of TinHill to have dinner at home and drop off the  bike. The original plan was to then return by public transportation to allow for me to have a couple of beers. Over dinner on the balcony we decided to stay close and opt for that great Malaysian band that was on at 12 at the night fest. Which is not what this post is about either.

 
Before the Malaysian band that may be featured in part two, we saw Stopgap a local band who identify themselves as Indie/Alternative Rock.


For those of you who have read my posts before you know I do not elaborate much about the music quality. Although the sound of music is my primary reason for attending these events, the blog tends to be more in the direction of the live part of the performance. 


This is driven by the visual aspect for the pictures but part of it is what I believe is inherent to human nature. What looks good, sounds better! 


I am not talking about dance groups, light shows and pyrotechnics that distract from the real attraction (that contradiction is deliberate). I am talking about personal things like: looks, character and charisma. Yes looks are superficial but research will confirm over and over again that it makes a difference as, I think, do character and charisma. A man like Mick Jagger has been making his own fireworks for decades and he made all the pyrotechnics simple side effects. 




Yesterday I was reminded of Jagger, in a strange way. I was intrigued by the lead singer of Stopgap as I have been intrigued about Ginny of The Steve McQueens and Riot in Magenta for the past 3 years; a very interesting looking guy with strong features. He reminded me of Jagger, though in my opinion Jagger is not your basic good looking guy, that's why I though the was more like an offspring of Mick and Bryan Ferry. I hope I am not freaking him out. 





It goes without saying that I liked Stopgap. Great originals and that powerful front-man. If I were into band management and promotion I would seriously consider them. That guy must be in his early 20's. Considering Mick, he should have at least another 50 years in him (Knock on wood). Great return on investment I would think.











































1 comment:

  1. Yeah it’s true that there are so many bands in Singapore. In fact music concerts are so common over there. I attend the music events very rarely at local New York venues but whenever I visit Singapore I always attend the music concerts.

    ReplyDelete