Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Tim O'Dwyer: Soundpainting on clean canvas



I try to not repeat the subject of the posts, although I may have made some exceptions for The Steve McQueen and Shaggies. Since precedence has been set, I can easily write again about Tim O’Dwyer’s Sound Painting project.
   

The first time it was also done in turbulently colorful times Tim O'Dwyer soundpainting: a stage filled with color. It was somewhat like the crazy colorful background of the Blu Jaz stage.
For this occasion, the project was held in a sterile space. The starkness of the white wall and floor was only interrupted by people and musical equipment.


I came to know about the event, because my friend David, 


 made me aware of it. I am not sure what the entire thing was about at Gillman Barack 42. The performance was part of a small program that involved a talk and then the Sound Painting.

 
Whoever was talking must have really a lot to say because they ran out by at least an hour, which left the musicians and some music audience hanging around waiting.  There was something interesting about the scene of waiting people so I took a picture of it. 


It was only when I reviewed the photos at home that I realized the true strangeness. There was no one in the group that was checking their phone. A rarity, even when observing just a couple of people in public nowadays, let alone a group of 7.

 
Never mind, the show started still at a reasonable time.  The introduction told us that it was more of a collaboration of the Sound Painting formation with other performing artists. One of them, to my great and very pleasant surprise was Weish. 


I saw her only a couple of times but that was enough to leave me excited about any prospect of seeing her, and listening to her again. The two prior occasions I did not have a camera so now I felt lucky. 
 


I know it is a dangerous word to use. To some cute is for pets of the fury kind or at most for a baby, but when I saw Weish perform before I thought of cute. In my view cute is about a relatively small physique, that is bursting out of it’s seems because it contains a big and positive personality. 

 
Sound Painting remains intriguing, with each performer adding their own color to the canvas. The previous time it was the actors that added a lot of dynamic, Weish filled that space this time with voice and more and it was refreshing, almost cool 

 for me to see it without the turbulence in the background.


 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment