Sunday, August 3, 2014

Tze Toh Wendy Phua and Teo Boon Chye. Galloping the shorter distance




 
A long time ago I saw this female bass player, in the all women band Tessera. I don’t even know if they are still playing together. We connected briefly via Facebook and I had always planned to see one of her gigs or other projects and never got round to it. So I took the opportunity to see Wendy Phua featured as part of the July Jazz month at the esplanade. I found her in the concourse in the middle of the lobby, against a back drop of the very dramatic sculptures


As the backdrop  intrigued me, so I decide to look up some details and this is what I found:

There’s an idiom that empowers the arts: – “Gallop to great distance and to develop one’s talent and ability freely.”
驰骋万里:(马)不断在向前走,而且速度很快.”
Chua Boon Kee looks into the expansion of this idiom, particularly so, that this year continues to be the Year of the Horse. The horse is a symbol for speed, vitality and beauty. The installation of 9 horses captured in the different poises, symbolises swift developments of our Nation and People, resilient and strong, in our 49th year of independence.
The use of grapevines allows the freedom and flexibility to create the horses in a similar application when working with calligraphy. The grapevines used in this installation are (as recycled materials).

The idiom fits greatly to musicians of course, and describes maybe the even greater challenges for the pool of talented Singaporean musicians. Obviously it is hard to travel far in Singapore. Granted many artists studied abroad, but then return. It appears artists are human too and prefer a social environment that includes family.

The band of that particular evening:

Toh Tze Chin on Piano


Wendy Phua on Bass

Teo Boon Chye on saxophone


The music and sculptures created a relaxing setting for people to lounge and listen to some lovely Jazz compositions. I am featuring this group, Tze, Wendy and Boon Chye in this blog particularly because this was actually one of the few Concourse sets I attended with my camera. I guess that was a bit because of Wendy.



But July was a month full of Jazz at the esplanade and the selection of bands and the number of new faces was amazing. Take the band that evening. I had seen Wendy as mentioned and Boon Chye but Tze I had never seen or heard. I am less and less surprised to see few people just enjoying while listening to Jazz in this town. I keep discovering new musicians. There cannot be an audience left. Every one seems to be playing!

As far as audience is concert. It is great there is family. What would happen if everyone would start galloping the great distance


No comments:

Post a Comment