Monday, June 2, 2014

Rani Singam: SingamSingsJazz@SingJazz


I did go and check out the SingJazz Club at the Sultan Hotel for it’s first Sunday night Jam last week. I was interested to see if some improvements were made. And was happy to observe there were a couple of elements that, in my opinion enhance the atmosphere. Firstly the photo’s of local and international artist performing at various events and venues including the SingJazz festival. 

And then there is of course the velvet red backdrop.
It covers up a lot of disturbing features that I always found myself working around when editing shots, but most importantly the new drapes give the stage a classic look.


Or may be even a slightly romantic look??


After that exploration I decided to come back last Saturday night for Rani Singam’s gig. I don’t’ need to say much about the band that had probably some of the most familiar faces of the Singapore Jazz scene. To begin with, in no order of importance or personal impac

Christy Smith


Mario Serio

Rani Singam

Tamagoh


The first set, packed with a slightly unusual mix of jazz standards and Nina Simone greats, was  highly enjoyable and interactive. The tunes interchanged style from blues to jazz to reggae. None of them music styles you can go wrong with, as far as I am concerned, but the specific songs, i thought, were also very suitable to Rani’s powerful voice and presentation style. 


I particularly like it when she goes into here lowest range and digs up these dark sounds from the deep, 

just to look up and present the brightest of smiles







No comments:

Post a Comment